- Damon Runyon Physician-Scientist Training Award - NEW
- Damon Runyon Fellowship Award
- Damon Runyon-Sohn Pediatric Fellowship Award
- Damon Runyon Clinical Investigator Award
Damon Runyon-Sohn Pediatric Fellowship Award Application Guidelines
NOTICE: For the March deadline, applicants may apply for either the Damon Runyon Postdoctoral Fellowship Award or the Damon Runyon-Sohn Pediatric Fellowship Award, not for both.
(Please note: completed applications and USB flash drives must be in our office by 4:00 pm (ET) on the deadline—NOT simply postmarked by the due date.)
|Application due on or before:||Selection meeting date:||Award begins first day of:|
|March 15, 2016||May 5, 2016||July, August, September or October 2016|
APPLIES TO LEVEL I APPLICANTS:
|Degree conferred between*:||Joined Sponsor’s Lab on or after:|
|April 15, 2015-March 15, 2016||April 15, 2015|
*Include a copy of the diploma to confirm date of conferral.
Do not staple any part of the application. The pages should be in the following sequence and numbered consecutively:
- Application cover sheet. Save the cover sheet onto the USB flash drive (this electronic copy of the cover sheet must not be scanned. We use a program that extracts information from the coversheet, and it will not work if the cover sheet is scanned). Electronic signatures are acceptable but not required for the USB copy. Applicants must also submit a hard copy of the cover sheet with all required signatures. These signatures can be either ink or electronic, or a mix of the two. [If applying under the mentorship of two Sponsors, please have your second Sponsor fill out the co-Sponsor cover sheet.]
- The Sponsor’s biographical sketch in NIH format and a list of current funding. Please limit the Sponsor’s bibliography to five publications that are most relevant to the proposed research. Please do not include the Sponsor’s full bibliography. [If applying under the mentorship of two Sponsors, the co-Sponsor must also submit a biosketch.]
- Sponsor’s letter including:
a) description of training plan for the candidate
b) track record of mentorship with list of graduate and postdoctoral fellows trained
c) percentage of proposal written by the candidate. Please give a numerical percentage.
[If applying under the mentorship of two Sponsors, the training plan for the candidate must be written jointly and each co-Sponsor must submit his/her individual track record of mentorship with list of graduate and postdoctoral fellows trained.]
- The applicant’s curriculum vitae, including a bibliography of all published works.
- Applicant’s letter including:
a) description of previous research and teaching experience
b) statement on the transformative impact he/she had on his/her field of research as a graduate student
c) statement that he/she is committed to a career in cancer research
- Statement indicating how your proposed research has the potential to significantly impact the prevention, diagnosis or treatment of one or more pediatric cancers (not to exceed 300 words).
- The research proposal, which shall not exceed five pages of single-spaced, 12-point type with at least 0.5 inch margins. In the proposal, the applicant should:
a) provide a summary of the research proposed (this is in addition to the required summary sheet form)
b) provide a brief background to the proposed research
c) state specific research objectives/aims
d) describe concisely the method of approach for the proposed research
e) demonstrate the relevance of his or her own background and the background and previous work of the Sponsor and
any other investigators to the proposed research
f) include a written statement testifying that adequate safety precautions will apply for projects that involve any
biohazards (e.g., recombinant DNA, chemical carcinogens) and that the research project has been (or will be)
approved by the appropriate Institutional Review Board, Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee, and/or
g) list references including the full title of each work cited—the references are not included in the five page limit
h) figures or tables may be appended or incorporated into the text (not to exceed two extra pages)
- A copy of the applicant’s degree certificate.
- The Summary of Research Form, not to exceed one page—no attachments.
- If available, include PDFs (NO HARD COPIES) of up to three different publications of the applicant’s work-no submitted manuscripts, published papers only.
- If applicable, include up to two collaboration letters (NOT REFERENCE LETTERS).
The above application materials should be submitted to the Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation for arrival at our offices on or before the deadline. Along with the original application (hard copy), applicants must submit a USB flash drive of all the required materials.
ALL FILES MUST BE IN PDF FORMAT.
Please number your PDF files to correspond to the listing below. To ensure proper organization of the files, please name all your files as:
Applicant’s last name-Sponsor’s last name, file #
Example: If the applicant’s name is John Smith and the sponsor’s name is Jane Doe, this is how the files should be named:
For applicants applying under the mentorship of two Sponsors: Please use and ampersand between the co-sponsors’ names.
Example: If the applicant’s name is John Smith and co-sponsors’ names are Jane Doe and Jack Jones, this is how the files should be named:
Smith-Doe & Jones, 1.pdf
Smith-Doe & Jones, 2.pdf
Smith-Doe & Jones, 3.pdf
- Application cover sheet
- Sponsor’s biographical sketch and list of current funding
- Sponsor’s letter
- Applicant’s CV
- Applicant’s letter
- Pediatric Cancer Statement
- Research proposal
- Applicant’s degree certificate
- Summary of research form
- 10a,b,c. Up to three different reprints of the applicant’s publications (PDF only)
- 11a,b. Up to two collaboration letters
- A merged PDF of items 1-11, omitting 8 (degree certificate)
AND Three reference letters using the Foundation’s form (sent directly to the Foundation by referees)
ON THE USB FLASH DRIVE PLEASE CLEARLY LABEL THE SPONSOR’S AND APPLICANT’S NAMES.
Send Complete Application and USB flash drive to:
Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation
One Exchange Plaza
55 Broadway, Suite 302
New York, NY 10006
FAXED OR E-MAILED APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED
Referees must submit their letters using our reference letter form on or before the application deadline. Please download and send the form to your referees or direct them to our website (www.damonrunyon.org).
THREE LETTERS OF REFERENCE ARE REQUIRED from qualified individuals, other than the candidate’s Sponsor, who can evaluate the candidate’s qualifications for the proposed research project and assess the candidate’s potential for successful independent pediatric cancer research. Referees are also asked to rank the applicant’s intellectual capacity and research potential in comparison with others at a comparable career stage, indicating the comparison group and citing specific examples for their assessment. For candidates with a PhD, one of the reference letters must come from the candidate’s thesis advisor.
Note: Please notify the Foundation immediately of any changes to your contact information provided in the application.