- Damon Runyon Fellowship Award
- Damon Runyon-Sohn Pediatric Fellowship Award *NEW*
- Damon Runyon Clinical Investigator Award
Innovation Award Application Guidelines
> July 1, 2014 Application Deadline
> November 2014 Finalist Interviews
> December 2014 Notification of Awardees
> January 1, 2015 Funding Begins
APPLICATION DEADLINE: July 1, 2014
Application materials should be submitted to the Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation for arrival at our offices by 4:00 pm (ET) on July 1, 2014. Along with the original full proposal (one hard copy), applicants must submit a USB flash drive of all the required materials. Please see application submission instructions for detailed directives.
1. Application cover sheet (co-applicant cover sheet) with all required signatures. DO NOT SCAN SIGNATURES FOR PDF COPY OF COVER SHEET. Download Cover Sheet Form or Download Co-applicant Cover Sheet Form.
2. The applicant’s curriculum vitae, including a bibliography of all published works. Bold three peer-reviewed publications (published or in press) that demonstrate the applicant’s capacity for innovation and ability to achieve the goals set forth in the proposed research.
3. A complete list of other sources of research support (including start-up package, if applicable) and confirmation that there is no scientific overlap with the proposed research.
4. The research proposal, including figures, tables and legends, is limited to four pages of single spaced, 12-point type with at least 0.5 inch margins. No preliminary data are expected; any description of such data (including figures) should be included in the four-page proposal. A list of references is not included in the 4-page limit.
In the proposal, the applicant should include:
1. the aim(s) of the proposed research project(s)
2. the significance and potential impact of the research on the prevention, diagnosis, treatment or basic
understanding of cancer
3. the experimental designs, strategies and methods to be used in the conduct of the research
4. an explanation of how the proposed idea and/or approach is innovative and bold yet achievable.
5. A one-paragraph description of resources and core facilities available to the applicant for the proposed research. Download Description of Resources and Core Facilities Form.
6. A written statement guaranteeing that adequate safety precautions will apply for projects that involve any biohazards (e.g., recombinant DNA, chemical carcinogens, etc.) and that the research project has been (or will be) approved by the appropriate Institutional Review Board, Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee, and/or Biohazards Committee.
7. The Summary of Research Form, not to exceed one page—no attachments. (Please do not staple it to the application.) Download Summary of Research Form.
(If you would like a copy of this form into which figures can be inserted, please email email@example.com)
8. If applicable, up to three collaboration letters (NOT REFERENCE LETTERS).
9. Only Clinical Instructors and Senior Clinical Fellows (in their final year of their sub-specialty training) holding an MD, and Distinguished Fellows Applicants are required to submit a letter from their mentor or institutional equivalent, guaranteeing that the applicant is conducting the proposed research independently and addressing his/her exceptional level of research accomplishment and potential to manage a successful, independent research program.
Applicants must have three reference letters from senior scientists emailed or faxed directly to the Foundation using our reference letter form or the referee’s own letterhead. Download Reference Letter Form.
The letters should address:
1. the applicant’s extraordinary research and academic accomplishments
2. the level of innovation and importance of the proposed research
3. the applicant’s characteristics that make him/her uniquely suited to carry out and achieve the goals of the proposed research.
4. the applicant’s potential to be a true innovator
Please number your pdf files to correspond to the listing below. To
ensure proper organization of the files, please name all your files as:
“Applicant’s last name, #”
Example: If the applicant’s name is John Smith, this is how the files should be named:
Smith, 9.pdf (if applicable)
ON THE USB flash drive PLEASE CLEARLY LABEL THE APPLICANT’S NAME.
Send Complete Application (hard copy) and USB flash drive to:
Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation
One Exchange Plaza
55 Broadway, Suite 302
New York, NY 10006
FAXED OR E-MAILED APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED
FINALISTS WILL BE SELECTED BY THE INNOVATION AWARD COMMITTEE AND INVITED TO INTERVIEW IN FALL 2014.
A small number of finalists will be interviewed by members of the Innovation Award Committee. Interviews will be conducted at the Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation in New York, New York. Interview travel expenses will be paid by the Foundation.