Damon Runyon-Dale F. Frey Award for Breakthrough Scientists Overview
Overview: Program Description
The Damon Runyon Fellowship identifies the nation’s top postdoctoral fellows and provides funding that enables them to complete their training under the mentorship of a leading senior scientist and encourages them to follow their own bold ideas. At the end of the Fellowship, there are often a select few who have greatly exceeded the Foundation’s highest expectations. These spectacular young scientists are the most likely to make paradigm-shifting breakthroughs that transform the way we prevent, diagnose and treat cancer. To catapult their research careers—and their impact on cancer—the Foundation will make an additional investment in these exceptional individuals by selecting them as recipients of the Damon Runyon-Dale F. Frey Award for Breakthrough Scientists.
In doing so, the Foundation will:
- provide additional financial support to enable these scientists to continue the pursuit of bold and innovative ideas
- accelerate the path to independence
- encourage a continued career in cancer research
- Exceptional productivity and significant accomplishments during the Damon Runyon Fellowship
- Potential of the applicant to become a leader in the field of cancer research
- Potential of the research to impact the prevention, diagnosis or treatment of one or more forms of cancer
- The award is $100,000 paid over one year and must be expended within two years of the initial award date.
- All awards will be made to the host institution for the support of the designated investigator.
- The funds are intended to be flexible and can be used for a variety of scientific needs including the awardee’s salary, salaries for professional and technical personnel, equipment, supplies, and other miscellaneous items required to conduct the research. Funds may also be used to defray the cost of the recipient’s healthcare benefits.
- Should the awardee move to an independent position at another institution during the award period, the funds may be transferred to the new institution.
- The award cannot be used for indirect costs or institutional overhead.
Damon Runyon Fellows are eligible to apply in the fourth year of their Fellowship. Currently, Damon Runyon Fellows selected in November 2013 and May 2014 (DRG-2177-14 to DRG-2210-14, DRSG-8-14 to DRSG-10-14) are eligible to apply.
› Fellows who have terminated their awards early to accept an independent academic faculty position or other funding are eligible.
› Fellows who have moved to a position at a for-profit organization are not eligible.
Fellows may only apply once, at the deadline date that correlates with their award selection date.
|Deadline Date||Award Selection Dates||DRGs|
|July 17, 2017||November 2013 and May 2014||
DRG-2177-14 to DRG-2210-14,
All reports are kept strictly confidential. The reports serve as an auditing tool to monitor research progress and award impact.
At the completion of the award, the awardee must submit:
1. A summary of research performed during the award and evaluation of the results. The summary should be technical, but targeted to a general scientific audience. Figures and references may be included if appropriate.
2. A lay abstract of total accomplishments over the term of the award, including impact of the research on cancer.
3. A statement indicating how the Damon Runyon Dale F. Frey Award made a difference to the Scientist.
4. A brief description of collaborations and partnerships related to the Damon Runyon-funded research, with either academic and/or industry scientists. Please identify your collaborator(s) and his/her academic/industrial affiliation(s).
5. A statement of future plans.
6. An up-to-date curriculum vitae.
7. A completed intellectual property disclosure form.
The institution's financial officer must maintain a separate account including receipts for each award, and this account must be available for audit by representatives of the Foundation. All funds must be expended within two years of the initial award date. Reports of expenditures on forms provided by the Foundation must be submitted within 30 days of the end of each year. Upon expiration of the award, a final report of expenditures, with the refund of any unexpended balance, must also be submitted within 30 days.
Financial Expenditure Report Preparation Guidelines:
Please use the Damon Runyon Frey Award Financial Expenditure Report form provided by the Foundation.
Monies may be used to cover salary (investigator, technical staff, students and postdoctoral fellows) and/or research costs (supplies, equipment, etc.). Funds may also be used to defray the cost of the recipient’s healthcare benefits.
Publications (including abstracts of presentations at scientific or clinical meetings) resulting from projects supported by the Foundation must carry the following acknowledgment: "[Name of Awardee] is supported (in part) by the Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation (DFS-#[___])."
Contact the Foundation at firstname.lastname@example.org if you do not know your DFS#.
Awardees are also encouraged to identify themselves as a recipient of the Damon Runyon Dale F. Frey Award when presenting their work at professional conferences. Download a copy of the Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation logo for inclusion in PowerPoint presentations or posters.
Terms of the Award
All awards are made to the host institution for support of the designated Damon Runyon Dale F. Frey Scientist. An award does not constitute an employer-employee relationship between the Foundation and the recipient.
Damon Runyon Dale F. Frey Scientists are permitted to obtain additional awards or grants.
The Scientist must commit at least 80% of his/her full-time professional effort to research activities.
Should the awardee wish to leave the designated institution or modify any aspect of the award, he or she must seek approval from the Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation in advance. Failure to comply with this requirement may jeopardize any future awards to the institution and/or awardee by the Foundation.
Award Programs | 212.455.0520 | email@example.com